Thursday 9 June 2016

Why is it always Jam tomorrow?

Having harvested a huge amount of Rhubarb from both the plot and the veg garden this year I've been jam making with earnest. I know that I probably won't eat half the jars I've made but it won't go to waste; friends who enjoyed it slathered on crusty bread last year will no doubt be pleased to be gifted jars of this years 'vintage' and if all else fails I'll spread in in between sponge cakes with lots of buttercream...yum!
Here's what I did...
I took 2kgs of chopped Rhubarb and gave it a good rinse


I then added the same amount of Jam Sugar and 1/2 pint of water
After a good stir I gave the sugar and Rhubarb time to get to know each other...


After an hour I split 4 vanilla pods lengthways and added to the pan before gently heating to allow the sugar to dissolve



When the sugar was thoroughly dissolved I increased the heat until the jam was at a rolling boil and checked the temperature using a jam thermometer
When I was confident that the jam was a good set (put a plate in the fridge and spoon some jam on it; if it forms a skin it's a good set)  I poured it into sterilised jars that had been warmed in the oven.

This jam should keep for approximate 6 months in a cool dark place. Once opened I kept mine in the fridge.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment